It’s officially summertime and for many of us, that means the kids our off from school, and less time for ourselves. So how do we stay in shape during the summer with vacations, kid duty, and weddings and other social engagements? How do we keep the momentum from spring still rolling through the summer months until September and school is back in session? I have compiled a list of ways to still get your workouts in without pulling too much time away from the kids.
- For younger kids that are still napping, you could do a yoga video on youtube, complete a bodyweight circuit in the living room, or run sprints down your block in front of your house.
- For slightly older kids, you could have them watch a show while you get in a quick body weight workout for 30 minutes.
- Take your kids to the park and play tag, race them, throw the ball around. Use the playground equipment to do pull ups, step ups, push-ups, etc. while your kids are playing.
- Go for a jog and have your little one ride on a bike, or scooter alongside.
- Go for a family bike ride, if your child is too young get an infant bike seat or trailer.
- Go on a family hike; if they are too young, carry them with a carrier.
- With older children take a class together (fitness, martial arts, sport lessons, etc.)
- Rent some gear for the day and go surfing, paddle boarding, kayaking, snorkeling, etc.
- Go to the local swimming pool and tread water, or swim laps with your kids.
- Take long walks and explore new neighborhoods or beaches.
- Play a sport together (tennis, basketball, baseball, soccer, etc.)
- Go to the beach and play in the ocean, build sand castles and chase your kids around.
- Go indoor wall climbing, the trampoline park, lazer tag, or play paint ball park together.
- Wake up early before your kids do and get your workout in ALONE.
I hope you found this list helpful and please feel free to share any other ideas of activities or tricks you do to keep your exercise a priority during the summer months.