Being a female San Diego fitness trainer I work with a lot of female clients. I would say females make up about 80% of my client base. That being said, women have the hardest time losing weight, and getting fit on their own. Most often times it relates back to the woman’s basic instinct to put everything before herself, including family, significant others, career, friends, etc. Women have a hard time putting aside time for themselves to exercise, cook healthy meals, and grocery shop. So many times as females we are eager to please and cater to others demands that often times we let others dictate what we eat, when we eat, when we relax, and when we/if we get to exercise. It’s just as important to put your foot down, stand up for your needs, ask for support, and start making positive changes in your life. Here are some simple tricks I ask of my female clients when they begin to start working with me. Some you may have heard of before, and others maybe not, but they are all crucial to taking the first step to a healthier lifestyle for yourself!
1. Take time for yourself. This is what I like to call ‘Me Time”. Everyone needs a little break in which they spend time with just themselves doing whatever makes them happy.
2. Spend time and money on your health and de-stressing. Massages, chiropractic visits, doctor appointments, exercise classes, working with a personal trainer.
3. Always Eat Breakfast! 60% of those whom skip breakfast are overweight. And good reason cause it slows down your metabolism and causes you to overeat later in the day. Read my post Why Breakfast is The Most Important Meal
4. Avoid Processed Pre-Made Foods. High in calories, salt, fat, sugar. They hold little nutritional value and may harbor chemicals and preservatives that are very harmful to the body. Avoid aspartame, high fructose corn syrup, and hydrogenated oils. Read more Processed Foods and Your Health
5. Eat Out Only Once Per Week. Not only will you be saving money but you will be able to monitor your calorie consumption.
6. Limit Alcohol Consumption. Break the habit of having a glass every night after work. Limit to only 1-2 per week for special occasions. Read Alcohol is Just Empty Calories
7. Drink 1/2 Your Body Weight in Oz. of Water. It’ll help you decrease on the consumption of caloric beverages, help you feel energized, and prevent dehydration.
8. Participate in Physical Activity 3-4 times per week. Many women train with me 3 times a week for the accountability and best results.
9. Get 6-8 hours of sleep and go to bed by 10pm. This will allow your body to recover and rebuild most effectively.
I hope this tips have helped clear up questions and hopefully have inspired you to put your foot down and start putting yourself and your health first!
Andrea King is a female San Diego personal trainer working with her clients to help them achieve a healthy balance in their lives. Her effective San Diego weight loss programs have helped countless others achieve weight loss and significant improvements in their health.